Sunday, November 28, 2010

Macarons

Assorted Macarons

Macarons, the little pretty, delicate, super sweet almond paste, meringue based French confection. It is either you love it or hate it kinda sweet confectionery. You gotta have a high sugar level tolerance in order to enjoy this pretty confection with a little foot of its own. The foot that determine whether you have a successful Macaron sitting on your baking tray or not.

I have actually successfully attempted this recipe before. Taste wise not really my cup of tea as my sweetness tolerance level is too low to enjoy this confection if I have to eat more than 2 pieces in a month. But I do know of someone that can ate up to 10 pieces or more in a day.

As the Macarons are such a trendy and IN confection right now (beside cupcakes), my darling challenge me to make more variety of this little cutie for one of his marketing campaign.

With my food processor cum mixer still out of commission, I actually borrowed my SIL's food processor just to take up this challenge. Honestly I really gotten off with quite a few failure trying to adjust to a few things here and there to get the recipe right again as even a slight mistakes can make the whole thing turn ugly. I found out that the most important part of all is the oven temperature. After gotten back to the right track, that was like after a few attempts, I was too lazy to search for more recipes for different type of macarons flavour and fillings. So all the flavours that I mentioned below are just made from my own personal instinct (that I crossed my fingers and pray that it will turn out good). I use back the original flavour recipe and add in a bit of this and that to come out with the 3 flavours mentioned below.

From left to right: Gingerbread Cinnamon Macaron, Chocolate Macaron and Lemon Macaron , sandwiched together with a layer of Lemon Buttercream Filling.

Why I choose Lemon Buttercream is because I would like to have something sourly to balance up the sweetness of a Macaron. So I make my own invention of Lemon Buttercream with reduced sugar (otherwise I think I am gonna die because of sugar overdose) and add in some lemon juice and lemon zest. I would say this buttercream is yummy! I will use this Buttercream again in my other cakes' recipes ( I hope I can make it taste the same again because I was just simply add this and that and forgot to jot down the measurement that I put in).

 Gingerbread Cinnamon Macarons

I was inspired to make this Gingerbread Cinnamon Macarons because Christmas season is coming soon. I was like thinking there's the Gingerbread Man Cookies, then why not Gingerbread Macarons. So I add in some ground ginger and ground cinnamon. I like this as the spices actually cover up some sweetness taste. 

 
 Lemon Macarons

Of all the 3 flavours that I come up with this round, the Lemon Macarons is the one I love most. The tangy flavour of both the Lemon Macarons filled with Lemon Buttercream just make it so good.

I am gonna make this again for my own consumption :)

Chocolate Macarons

I remember I read it somewhere that Chocolate Macaron is the hardest to make but I forgot why. And I don't know the exact recipe so I just add in some cocoa powder to create my version of Chocolate Macarons.

By now I am addicted to making Macarons. I want to create more flavours but before that I gotta find ways to dispose off all the egg yolks stuck in my fridge now.....till then.....THE END!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments or enquiries