Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Big Mix Fruity Tart

Big Mix Fruity Tart

The past few days I have been able to bake quite a fair bit. On Christmas day, I baked and steamed the Creme Caramel.  Then on Boxing Day, I was sweet talked into baking another batch of sinful Cinnamon Rolls.

Then yesterday, I tried the Sweet Shortcrust Pastry Crust's and Pastry Cream's recipes from Okashi Treats: Sweet Treats Made With Love's book. I used her recipes to make this Big Mix Fruity Tart since I have a lot of fruits to clear from my refrigerator. I used some grapes, oranges and persimmons. I should have reduced some sugar for the Pastry Cream since all the fruits that I used are super sweet. If I had use fruits like strawberries, then the sweetness level will be just right. I don't quite like the Sweet Shortcrust Pastry Crust from Okashi Treats: Sweet Treats Made With Love's book because I find it a bit too dry and too fragile for a big pie or tart. Maybe I shouldn't have follow her baking time as you can see that the edge of my big tart is slightly over browned. Maybe that's why the pastry was a bit too dry.....hmmm should I give this recipe a second chance by reducing the baking time by few minutes? What do you say?

In the meantime, I will stick back to my usual Sweet Shortcrust Pastry Crust which is fluffy and soft........and next time I should have test the fruits first before I make the Pastry Cream......but to a lot of people, when I say it is too sweet will only means normal sweetness to others because I have very low tolerance to sweetness level. That's why I always try to make it a point to ask my friends what sweetness level they prefer when I bake for them......low, normal or high. How I differentiate the level is to compare it to the amount of sugar one put into her coffee......reduced is when one put less than 1 teaspoon of sugar in a mug of coffee, normal is 2 teaspoons of sugar and high is 3 teaspoons or more.

I am enjoying writing my post now........stay tune for more.......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments or enquiries