Thursday, October 21, 2010

A Heirloom From My Grandma


I saw this Serving Stand since I was young.....saw it used to served cookies during festive season, saw it served birthday cakes during birthdays, and saw it neatly keep in a display cupboard but no one bother to ask the about this multi-use Serving Stand....until I was looking for more decorative items to display my cooking and baking results.


So I asked my aunt whether I can have 1 of this (it came in a pair) for pictures and display use.......being my super easygoing, never say NO aunt, she hesitantly say "YES" and started to spill out the history of this Serving Stand so that I will know how precious is this and take really, really, really (X 10000 times) good care of it.

Well, it was my grandma's wedding gift. I was like "WOW". That was like at least 75 years ago and it still looks so new and good. Well done, Well done.

Here the story goes......my lovely grandma got married to my grandpa (that we never seen before as he past on way before my generation is born) in a small town where my grandpa's family ran a small business there. So at that time, it was a norm for people to present wedding gifts to the newly wed couple....and their favourite gifts at that time was kitchenware, tableware, dining ware and especially things that came in pair. As there is a Chinese saying that goes "good things come in pairs" because a pair has many auspicious meanings. So this Serving Stands start serving my family from then onwards till now passing on from my grandma to my aunts and then now to me.......

I promised I will try to keep it as good as possible in the coming yearsssssss......


My first serving (Chocolate Pastry Cream Oreo Cupcakes with Light Buttercream Frosting) on this historical piece 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments or enquiries